Basil, Spinach, Garbanzo Beans Pasta Soup, a weekday hearty, healthy soup and a complete meal for those chilly fall nights. The weather in the Bay Area has finally turned and decided to become fall. The leaves are beautiful colors of yellow, orange and red and line the sidewalks like a riotous carpet begging to be walked on.
The cold nights however make me long for a hot meal and also makes me tired after a long day. And, yes, lazy to cook anything that can’t be put together quickly. It was during one such night this week, as I stared into my refrigerator wondering what I should make for dinner that did not involve more than tossing things into a pot, that I came up with Basil, Spinach and Garbanzo Beans Pasta Soup.
My initial thought was to make easy pasta. I discovered that I had only about two cups left in the pantry, hardly enough for a family of four. I also had one cup of cooked Garbanzo beans. As I contemplated my options and my weary day, I decided to combine all of them and the gorgeous basil, spinach, zucchini, leeks and make pasta soup, sort of like minestrone without the hassle of cutting the vegetables into perfect shapes.
The result – Basil, Spinach, Garbanzo Beans Pasta Soup! My kids loved it and asked for seconds. My mother who is visiting, said it was perfect to warm her up. And my husband and I cleaned the pot by eating every drop of it. Sometimes, great recipes are born because of a weary day and sheer laziness! Serve with thick slices of bread to dunk in the soup like my Whole Wheat Honey Bread.
[recipe title=”Basil, Spinach, Garbanzo Beans, Pasta Soup” servings=”4″ time=”20 minutes” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 2 Cups Spinach (roughly chopped)
- 2 Cups Basil leaves
- 1 Cup Zucchini (cut into 1” pieces)
- 1 medium size Leeks (washed throughly and only the light green parts chopped roughly)
- 5 cloves Garlic (crushed and minced)
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1” Ginger chopped
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup cooked Garbanzo Beans
- 2 Cups cooked Pasta (Medium Shell Pasta is ideal – see link here)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Avacado oil/Oilve oil [/recipe-ingredients] [recipe-directions]
- Saute garlic and leeks with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a stock pot/dutch oven till they are soft and start to turn color (slightly brown)
- Add zucchini, spinach, basil, ginger, peppercorns, cayenne and salt. Saute for 2 minutes till the basil and spinach begin to wilt.
- Add 3 Cups of water and 1 cup milk and bring to a boil, then simmer till zucchini is cooked through. Turn off the gas/flame.
- Blend the contents to a smooth consistency. I use a hand held blender Hamilton Beach 59765 2 Speed Hand Blender to directly blend the soup in the stock pot/dutch oven. (If you are transferring to a blender jar (other than a Vitamix Vitamix 5200 Blender, Black) to blend, make sure you cool down the soup before blending or the heat of the soup will blow the lid of the blender. Return the soup to the stockpot/dutch oven).
- Add the pasta and garbanzo beans to the soup. Check seasoning and adjust salt according to your taste. Add 1/2 cup water if the soup is too thick.
- Bring it to boil once more.
- Swirl in 1 tablespoon of cold butter. Soups up! Ladle into bowls and serve.