Caramelized Banana Muffins are the perfect blend of crusty brown top and a soft, moist center with an intense banana flavor. The aroma of delicious smells will permeate your house as it did mine.
My kids love banana bread but they both want different fillings. One likes chocolate and the other almonds and neither prefers them combined. So I started making my banana bread recipe into muffins.
Last weekend they both were cajoling to make some for them. But the bananas I had were not ripe and I had already depleted my reserve of frozen ripe bananas (I usually toss the ripe bananas into the freezer to use at a later date), so I had to come up with a plan to ripen them and fast. I remembered a post by Chef Steps that caramelized bananas in a pressure cooker for baking. I decided to change my banana bread recipe yet again.
The result were beautiful two kinds of Caramelized Banana Muffins – chocolate banana muffins and almond banana muffins with an amazingly intense banana flavor. Use Spiced Candied Pecans for a variation.
[recipe title=”Caramelized Almond/Chocolate Banana Muffins” servings=”12″ time=”45 minutes” difficulty=”Moderate”]
- 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon instant Coffee powder
- 1/4 Cup Sugar + 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 3 large Bananas
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup melted butter +1 Tablespoon cold Butter
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon good Vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons of shaved Dark Chocolate
- 6 Tablespoons toasted chopped Almonds [/recipe-ingredients] [recipe-directions]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 regular size muffin pan with liners
- Slice the bananas lengthwise into fourths.
- Melt butter in a non-stick skillet on low heat and add 1/4 Cup Sugar + 1 Tablespoon brown sugar. Lay the banana slices on top, cut side up. Cook undisturbed for 20 seconds. then turn bananas carefully and cook for 30 seconds. Cover with a lid and cook undisturbed for 45-60 seconds till the are beautifully caramelized.
- Transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the wet ingredients to a medium bowl – melted butter, vegetable oil, lightly beaten eggs and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add the mashed caramelized bananas.
- In a big bowl combine the dry ingredients – flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, baking soda, salt and instant coffee powder.
- Mix in the wet ingredients into the dry and stir till combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin cups filling 3/4th of the way.
- Mix in 1 Tablespoon each of chocolate in 6 of the muffins cups.
- Mix in 1 Tablespoon each of chopped almonds into the other 6 muffins cups.
- Bake 30-40 minutes till a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes.