The weather is hot and I long for a refreshing iced tea. So I grabbed the grapefruit from the bowl, squeezed it, made syrup, added water and Voila! Ginger Grapefruit Iced Tea. It’s that easy.
The slight bitterness from the grapefruit pairs marvelous with ginger from the tea bags. The resulting taste is sweet with a kick. I make iced tea all the time for parties. It is refreshing, simple to make, does not require much time or planning, and a drink that pleases everyone. And sounds like it’s difficult to make.
I can make it an alcoholic beverage in a cinch too. Just replace water in the last step with your choice of poison. I like personally like Bacardi Rum and white Mezcal mixed in. It is quite delicious.
Grapefruit Nutrition Facts
The grapefruit is a hybrid, bred as a cross between pomelo and orange. It is sweet with a hint of bitterness and grows in clusters like grapes. Hence the name Grapefruit.
It is very beneficial for health. Reduces blood pressure, promotes healthy hair and is recommended for weight loss. Of course all this for eating the fruit as is without adding sugar. It is a superfruit just as anything bitter is considered good for your health like kale and bitter gourd.
I love eating grapefruit. The slight bitter-sweet taste with the citrus flavor is quite pleasing on the tongue for me. It is an acquired taste though. My husband who loves bitter gourd will not touch grapefruit. He likes grapefruit iced tea though.
Grapefruit Iced Tea
- The simple syrup that you make at the beginning is the basis for any cocktail or iced. Simmer equal parts of sugar and water till the sugar dissolves. So please don’t buy it from the store. It’s ridiculously simple to make.
- Strain the grapefruit juice to reduce the bitter taste. When you add it to the simple syrup, it will be sweet.
- I used ginger flavored tea bags but you can add just plain tea bags and 1/2″ smashed, fresh ginger to the water when boiling it.
- Pair it with my Purple Kale Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette for a healthy colorful lunch.
Refreshing and so easy to make. A party pleaser. Save a glass for yourself the next day
- 475 ml Grapefruit juice freshly squeezed approx: 2 medium Grapefruit
- 235 ml water approx: 1 Cup (liquid measure)
- 235 grams Sugar approx: 1 Cup
- 5 tea bags ginger flavored
- 1 pinch Salt
Squeeze the grapefruit using a citrus squeezer. See Notes.
Strain the juice through a fine mesh strainer
In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Simmer till the sugar dissolves.
Add the grapefruit juice, tea bags. Bring it to a boil. Then simmer for 3 minutes. The liquid will reduce.
Take it off the flame and let cool. The grapefruit syrup is now ready to use.
To serve, mix equal amount of water and syrup. Add ice cubes.
- I use a handy electric citrus squeezer that I got from Walmart that is so simple to use and easy to clean. And only $20. I like that it has an option to squeeze the pulp the end to extract the maximum juice.
- I make the grapefruit syrup and store it for 3 weeks. And use it whenever I feel like drinking iced tea, I just add water to it.
- It's an easy make-ahead party drink.