Wow your guests with this restaurant-style Red Chili Glazed Salmon with Arugula and Horseradish Sauce, served with Glazed Pearl Onions and Mushrooms.
This dish is a no-brainer for a dinner party – looks fancy but easy to execute. The red chili glaze with roasted coriander seeds is so good that I store it and top it on everything. Trust me, you’ll end up licking your fingers as you are making it.
The Arugula and Horseradish sauce is a classic with twists borrowed from Lebanese recipes. It’s fresh green flavor pairs beautifully with glazed Salmon. You can grill the salmon too.
Glazed Pearl Onions and Mushrooms are optional but using them creates a stunning effect. If you don’t want to go to all this trouble, shave some small red radish on top before serving. It will taste just as good.
This dish has been served to chefs at my culinary school and gotten top points for it. Especially the glaze and sauce!
Add an elegant dessert like Cinnamon Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake and your dinner party is set.
Red Chilli Glazed Salmon with Arugula and Horseradish Sauce
8 Servings | Prep: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes
What do I need? – Ingredients
8 Salmon fillets, 6-ounces each
For the Red Chilli Glaze
- 2 dry Red Serrano chili
- 1/2 inch Ginger, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, roasted
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Arugula and Horseradish sauce
- 1/4 Cup arugula
- 1/4 Cup Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1/2 inch freshly grated horseradish root
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon or 15ml milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt
- 10 pearl onions
- 10 mushrooms (I used white)
- 1/2 Cup pea shoots
- 1 Tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Let’s make this – Procedure!
For the Red Chili Glaze
- Soak dry red chilies in warm water for 20 minutes and drain them.
- Deseed the drained red chilies and add to ginger, garlic, cumin-coriander powder and salt in a spice grinder/mortar and pestle. Grind them with 1 tablespoon water until its a smooth paste.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and honey to the prepared paste. Set aside
For the Arugula and Horseradish Sauce
- Blend all the ingredients except Yogurt. Transfer to a bowl and add the yogurt, the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and check the seasoning. Store in a sealed container.
For the Salmon Fillet
- Preheat grill pan or nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Brush salmon with oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon in the pan, skin side down and cook until golden brown and a crust has formed 2-3 minutes. Flip over and continue cooking until a crust has formed and the salmon is cooked to medium doneness, 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the grill and brush with glaze. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
For the Onions
- Soak the onions in warm water for 10 minutes. Peel them being careful to keep them intact. Place in a saucepan in a single layer.
- Add water, sugar, butter, and salt. Cover with parchment paper and cook till the onions are cooked through.
- Increase heat and cook the onions till all the water has evaporated and the pan starts turning slightly brown. Sprinkle a little water and caramelize the onions.
- Transfer the glazed onions to a work bowl and keep warm for service.
- Brush a tablespoon of the Arugula and Horseradish Sauce on the plate and place the Salmon Fillet on top of the sauce.
Top the Salmon with sliced mushrooms and 5 Pearl onions. Garnish with a few sprigs of Pea Shoots and Parsley. Serve.